How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117365
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can this apply to someone who is in a relationship and is not

Customer Question

Can this apply to someone who is in a relationship and is not married to the other.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it ould help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
-What are you talking about?
-What state?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was threatened by a man I was in a relationship with. I did not know he was married and it was confirmed on saturday. I needed to know if I could sue for emotional suffering. I was told that it would be a long shot trying to get a restraining order because I don't have any proof of him threatening me. We were in a relationship for a year.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
that's it.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately, you could not sue for emotional suffering because the relationship broke up because he was married. These relationships happen all the time and the courts just do not allow suits over the break ups. The only time suit could be brought would be for breach of promise and fraud if the person made you a promise to marry and defrauded you by not disclosing his current marriage was still valid. Other than that, I am afraid without proof of the threats you have no real grounds to go to court against him for anything.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He did promise that we were going to move into a house together and we actually looked at a townhouse. he also talked about eventually us getting married. He stated that his kids were going to live with us also.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
You would have a potential claim against him for breach of promise, but these cases are very difficult to prove, since "married eventually" and getting a house together with his kids are nebulous things that were not concrete plans.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I found out that he did the same thing to someone else. Is there anything else that I can do?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
Again, you have a weak claim for breach of promise, but I believe you would have a hard time finding any attorney to take the case because it is such a weak claim.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
1 more question. Can the wife sue me if I didn't know they were married?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
GA does not allow suits for alienation of affection, so the wife could not sue you for that.
Law Educator, Esq. and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank You
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
You are welcome.