How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31729
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brothers wife (a convicted felon in Florida) has been trying

This answer was rated:

My brother's wife (a convicted felon in Florida) has been trying to score Heroin (she was soliciting the guests at my daughter's wedding)!   What chance do my husband and I have of getting the 3 remainning children who are under 18 out of Florida & living with us to provide some kind of stable home atmosphere? They have already thrown the oldest girl out when she turned 18. I think this is a reprehensible way to treat your own children!
If you have any evidence and/or witnesses of her behavior, you have a great chance of getting custody. It takes a material change to validate a change of custody - these are things like a parent being charged/convicted of a crime (drug charges would definitely suffice), losing a job, re-marriage, etc.

Your best bet is to file a petition to modify custody and have proof/witnesses to testify about the mother's condition.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I would like to review this information with my husband before finalizing (in case he has any questions to raise that I failed to consider). Thanks
<p>The question is open until you close it - regardless of when you pay. </p>
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm sorry, I couldn't get back online! The person who she solicited was drinking at the time. A) Would that matter, and B) would he have to testify in person, or would some kind of Notarized Affadavit be acceptable. Thanks for your patience, I fully intend to pay as soon as we can clarify these points.
A) The person can testify even though possibly impaired. However, the other party can use this to discredit the testimony.

B) He could testify in person or give a deposition - an affidavit is not acceptable in court.
Roger and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions