Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

In the State of Rhode Island , if a man gives a woman a diamond

Customer Question
ring and asks her to...
In the State of Rhode Island , if a man gives a woman a diamond ring and asks her to marry him but it doesmt work out and before they get married they split up is the man entitled to get his diamond back?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/1/2009
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
The RI Supreme Court has not ruled on this identical issue, but has found parties engaged to be married to be in a confidential relationship such that there can be the formation of a constructive trust. See: Nani v. Vanasse, C.A. No. PC/05-995 (RI, 2006) citing Bratton v. Bratton, 136 S.W.2d 595, 601 (Tenn. 2004) ("[a]n engagement to marry creates a confidential relationship between the contracting parties"). The RI courts hold that the giving of an engagement ring in contemplation of marriage creates then a constructive trust over the ring and such constructive trusts require the return of the property if the party with the ring is at fault in the break up of the relationship. Doe v. Burkland, 808 A.2d 1090, 1095 (R.I. 2002) (the Court hypothesized that a court sitting in equity might impose a constructive trust to "prevent a person from retaining a benefit received from another without appropriate payment for the same" and more specifically, "in [a] case when [a party] allegedly acquired property in his individual name during [an intimate] relationship subject to an agreement to share the same with [the other party.]"). Thus, if the party with the ring caused the break up of the engagement, then they must return the ring, but if they did not cause the break up, then they can keep the ring.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer