How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been separated from my husband of 35 years for 1 year

This answer was rated:

I have been separated from my husband of 35 years for 1 year now. We have separated all assets equally. I (wife) support him with medical insurance and he has significant medical problems so I dont want him to lose that until I know he will be covered by SSI or Medi Cal. We live in California. When he has other coverage my intent is to divorce him.   In the meanwhile I would like to buy a house with my father (both names on title). If I do that I dont want husband intitled to any part of that when I divorce him in the future. Would a legal separation be a good option for me right now?

A legal separation would be a good option. A legal separation was intended to handle a situation like yur where people need to maintain medical benefits, or religious reason prohibit a divorce. In the long run a legal separation is your best option especially if your husband has the potential of accumulating debt.


Another option is that you can with your husbands written agreement purchase property as your "sole and separate." This requires an explicit agreement from your husband ant the property titled as your sole and separate property.


If you found this answer informative please press ACCEPT so I may get credit for my response.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Jack R. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you