How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in New Jersey my children and their mother live in Indiana

Resolved Question:

I live in New Jersey my children and their mother live in Indiana we went to court in NJ 5 yrs ago can I get the support changed to Indiana's support laws there cost of living is lower than NJ and shes been living there for 5 yrs now
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

You may be able to transfer the case to Indiana. You will need to file a petition in the NJ court requesting that NJ relinquish jurisdiction to Indiana. You would need to convince the court that it is in the children's best interests that jurisdiction be transferred to IN because the children reside in IN.

Once jurisdiction is transferred to IN, all proceedings regarding the children must be heard in IN.
Ellen and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you