How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DHP Your Own Question
DHP, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 213
Experience:  30+ years of family law practice
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
DHP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-girlfriend is pregnant. She lives in St. Louis and I

Customer Question

My ex-girlfriend is pregnant. She lives in St. Louis and I live in Tampa. She has no job, no insurance, lives with her sister's boyfriend (they do drugs), is a drug addict herself and a former stripper.

I make $80,000 a year and have great insurance but I travel a lot for my job. I want custody when the child is born so ii is not in a bad environment. My mother has agreed to move in as a full time nanny if I have the child. What are my chances of getting custody?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  DHP replied 8 years ago.
You have a pretty good chance if you can prove what you claim, but I would suggest that you talk to a good Missouri lawyer to be ready to proceed once the baby is born. You need to be able to prove that it is in the child''s best interest to be with you. Af course you also have to prove paternity.

I realize that this answer is vague but I believe that yours is the sort of question which can best be answered by a local expert. Many legal questions are best answered by reference to the local rules and individual judges involved. I will not be offended if you do not pay before you have tried the advice, but I would appreciate it if you would try the advice before responding with negative feedback.

If I've helped, please click ACCEPT so I can get credit for my work. This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. Consult a lawyer in your jurisdiction for specific legal advice. You are welcome to email further questions.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How can I "prove" what I claim? Is witness testimony enough? I know her family will lie for her in court.
Expert:  DHP replied 8 years ago.
Witness testimony is proof, depending on how credible they are. Documentary evidence of drug use or employment as a stripper would be better. There is no specific answer as to how best to prove something. It is just a matter of common sense of providing evidence that is direct, and not hearsay, and that will convince the judge what you want him to believe. Put yourself into the judge's shoes to see whether or not you would be convinced.