How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31737
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my stepdaughters mother died in April 2007 and she was living

Customer Question

my stepdaughter's mother died in April 2007 and she was living with her grandmother at the time. The grandmother fought my husband for custody in September 2008 and she was awarded full custody and my husband was denied any type of custody and granted reasonable supervised visitation because his daughter was suffering from separation anxiety (according to the grandmother) since her mother's passing. What situation would have to be different in order for my husband to fight for custody?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.
One has to show that there is a material change with the custodian of the children to justify a change. This is usually something like a change in the living situation, financial changes, etc.

If there has been no significant event that has changed the living conditions for the child,it is very tough to change custody.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so in a situation where the grandmother was working and moved to another state and recently may have lost her job and has to move back and will be living with her (the grandmother's) deceased mother's boyfriend is possibility for this change?
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.
That is exactly the kind of thing that could shift the balance in his favor.
Roger and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.
No problem.

Related Family Law Questions