Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

my stepdaughters mother died in April 2007 and she was living

Customer Question

my stepdaughter's mother died in April 2007 and she was living with her grandmother at the time. The grandmother fought my husband for custody in September 2008 and she was awarded full custody and my husband was denied any type of custody and granted reasonable supervised visitation because his daughter was suffering from separation anxiety (according to the grandmother) since her mother's passing. What situation would have to be different in order for my husband to fight for custody?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.
One has to show that there is a material change with the custodian of the children to justify a change. This is usually something like a change in the living situation, financial changes, etc.

If there has been no significant event that has changed the living conditions for the child,it is very tough to change custody.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so in a situation where the grandmother was working and moved to another state and recently may have lost her job and has to move back and will be living with her (the grandmother's) deceased mother's boyfriend is possibility for this change?
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.
That is exactly the kind of thing that could shift the balance in his favor.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.
No problem.