How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DHP Your Own Question
DHP, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 213
Experience:  30+ years of family law practice
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
DHP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is in the military and was married to a woman from

Resolved Question:

My husband is in the military and was married to a woman from Puerto Rico. They have one daughter, who is now 10. They were divorced in Puerto Rico and they included his BAH as part of his income. My husband makes only $37000 a year and we have 3 other children. He is paying $600 a month for child support for his one daughter. In addition she insists that we pay a portion of her tuition each year and has continuously asked for more money towards school each year. Does this child support amount of $600.00 seem excessive and are we required to pay towards her school tuition if it is not in their divorce decree?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  DHP replied 8 years ago.
You are not required to pay for things that are not contained in a court order. As to the amount, $600 per month does not sound that high. Each state has its own child support schedule, and you can usually look it up on line and go through the formula to see whether it is in line or not. But it should include all of the child's expenses, unless there is a specific court order.

If I've helped, please click ACCEPT so I can get credit for my work. This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. Consult a lawyer in your jurisdiction for specific legal advice. You are welcome to email further questions.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

How does it work with my husband being in the military? Does it go by the Puerto Rican child support schedule or the state's schedule we live in now or my husband's home state (since he is not a resident where he gets transferred to)?

Expert:  DHP replied 8 years ago.
It depends. if the original order was in Puerto Rico and they continue to have jurisdiction over him, then it could be by the Puerto Rico schedule. Otherwise it is probably by where he is currently living. I would see which place has the most favorable child support guidelines and then try to get it there, at least if I was trying to get it changed.
DHP and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions