How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a ten month old son. His father and I are not married.

Customer Question

I have a ten month old son. His father and I are not married. He only visits once a month or two. He does pay $100 a week in support in cash. We have never been to court. He has worked at a job for 10 years and makes $675 a week but works under the teable and has not paid taxes for this job ever. I make $38,000 a year and carry our son on my insurance plan which I pay. He is 30 years old but still parties and drinks heavy. He has also been violent. He has never taken care of our son. He threatens to sign over rights of our son if I take him to court. He also threatens that he does not even work full time which he does. I want to do what is best for our son. We live in SC.
How do I go about having him sign over rights? Would I be able to still get him to pay support? What should I do, I am concerned that he is going to have a negative effect on our son. He is not suitable to care for him. And I do not want to risk him getting visitation. Can you help me?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 8 years ago.
You can ask him to voluntarily give up his parental rights but if you do that he will expect to quit paying child support. Then if you want support you will have to go through the courts since terminating rights does not mean that you do not have to pay support.
lwpat and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok so how exactly do I go about having him sign over rights? What steps will have to be taken by myself and what does he have to do?
Expert:  lwpat replied 8 years ago.
For some reason I cannot get the the SC judicial webpage. Here is the link. You can go to forms and see if there is one for a termination of parental rights. If so that is what you will need to file to get started. You really need an attorney for a TPR.

Related Family Law Questions