How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DHP Your Own Question
DHP, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 213
Experience:  30+ years of family law practice
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
DHP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can my husband sell our land,vehicles & etc. to someone for

Customer Question

can my husband sell our land,vehicles & etc. to someone for a dollar or small amount of money to keep me from getting half of everything & if he does is it legal
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  DHP replied 8 years ago.
In family law in the US, assuming it is at a time fairly near to the famiy court being involved, such transactions can be set aside if they are not for fair compensation to a "bona fide purchaser". Sale for one dollar would of course not be fair. Each case would be judged separately by the judge, but the most important thing is to demonstrate that the sale was not for fair compensation and was done for the purpose of keeping you from receiving your fair share.<br /> <br /><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument>   <w:View>Normal</w:View>   <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>   <w:PunctuationKerning/>   < w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>   <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>   <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent>   <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>   <w:Compatibility>    <w:BreakWrappedTables/>    <w:SnapToGridInCell/>    <w:WrapTextWithPunct/>    <w:UseAsianBreakRules/>    <w:DontGrowAutofit/>   </w:Compatibility>   <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal      {mso-style-parent:"";      margin:0in;      margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:10.0pt;      font-family:"Times New Roman";      mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1      {size:8.5in 11.0in;      margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;      mso-header-margin:.5in;      mso-footer-margin:.5in;      mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1      {page:Section1;} --> <p class="MsoNormal"> </p> <p class="MsoNormal">If I've helped, please click ACCEPT so I can get credit for my work. This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. Consult a lawyer in your jurisdiction for specific legal advice. You are welcome to email further questions.</p>    <span><br /></span>
DHP and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you very much i didn't think he could get away with this but, he keeps telling me he can
Expert:  DHP replied 8 years ago.
Your are welcome! the message I sent you seems to have been garbled, but you seemed to understand it. Good luck in the future.

Related Family Law Questions