How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DHP Your Own Question
DHP, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 213
Experience:  30+ years of family law practice
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
DHP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was divorced in 2000 .My X and myself split everything. She

Customer Question

I was divorced in 2000 .My X and myself split everything. She did not want or need any alimony. I have custody of our 17 year old. My x took me back to court in 2005 claiming she wants alimony now. Is she entitled?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  DHP replied 8 years ago.
Normally you cannot reopen a case for alimony after the divorce is final. There may be exceptions for fraud. what has happened to the 2005 case?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the 2005 case is still going on ,there has been many continuations it has lasted over 4 yrs. My X has always worked and is trying to say she entitled to Marital standard of living. The original divorce in 2000 was never contested we both agreed and moved on.. We are currently in the middle of the yrial which also seems to be draggin out. Shouldnt the judge have made a decision if she is even entitled ?
Expert:  DHP replied 8 years ago.
I am surprised it has taken so long to get a ruling. Do you have a lawyer? Does she allege fraud?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no she does not allege fraud.. she is trying to get a modification. When we split my X put her money in the stock market and lost a big chunk of it. I on the other hand invested in properties and made money with them but only well after the fact that we were divorced. When we were married we lived a normal middle class life nothing special. I have spent over 70 K and so has my X this is ridiculous
Expert:  DHP replied 8 years ago.
What state are you in? There must be more variance in state law than I am award of. I will opt out so you can get an answer from someone in your state.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
all I need to know is if my X can come back after we have been divorced for 5years and now want alimony, when she declined it during our original divorce. Original divorce was never contested
Expert:  DHP replied 8 years ago.
I would normally say no, but as I understand your question and answers she is already doing so. Am I missing something? I think you need to talk to a lawyer in your state.