Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My question is, does Illinois have a CommonLaw Marriage Law

Customer Question
? I have been living...
My question is, does Illinois have a CommonLaw Marriage Law ? I have been living with my boyfriend for 15 years. He has supported me, I have never worked during our time together and the last 9 years we have lived like brother and sister. He now wants me to move out, he says I can keep the car I'm driving, he paid for it. My question is do I have any rights to ask him for money or any type of support after I leave? PLEASE let me know my rights, if I have any? Thank You very much for any help you can give me, I anxiously wait to hear from you. Email address [email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/7/2009
Family Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Tina, Lawyer
Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.

I am sorry but IL does not recognize common law marriages unless they were entered into in a state that does allow them. You must have a marriage license.

The only thing I can suggest is if you had a verbal agreement that he would support you, you could sue for breach of contract. If you had children together, you could file for child support. Otherwise, the law does not offer rights to individuals who remain unmarried.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best regards,

TG

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Thank You.

Tina, Lawyer
Tina, Lawyer