How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 9 years old, his father has never been in his life

Customer Question

My son is 9 years old, his father has never been in his life and never paid any child support. He was extremely abusive before we ended the relationship. How do I go about terminating his parental rights?     Pittsburgh, pa
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.

Have the father's rights ever been established by a court? Is his name on the birth certificate?



Customer: replied 8 years ago.
His name is XXXXX XXXXX birth certificate. When he was a little under 1 years old we did go to court. His father was supposed to go to classes: domestic violence, parenting and drug abuse classes. He never went to any of the classes and never tried to contact us again. As far as I know he is in jail.
Expert:  Tina replied 8 years ago.

I see. Then you would need to file a petition to terminate his parental rights. If you live near the same court that entered the previous ordered, you would need to file a motion in that court. It should be granted under the circumstances.

Please let me know if you need additional information.


Best regards,




Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Thank You.

Tina and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

This may be a dumb question, but do I need to have an attorney to file a petition?

Expert:  Tina replied 8 years ago.

Not a dumb question at all. You should have an attorney or some legal assistance. However, if it is not challenged, you could at least file it yourself and then consult with a family law attorney about how to finalize it.


Here is a website that should have forms you need. There are others out there. Or, you could contact the clerk of the court for forms they may have.


Take care.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The website you provided did not show up. Could you send it again?


Thank you.

Expert:  Tina replied 8 years ago.

Oops. That's because I forgot to attached it. *smile* Sorry. Here it is: