How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my custody papers were set in washington state, but everybody

Resolved Question:

my custody papers were set in washington state, but everybody involved has been living in california for 8 months to a year, what court has jurisdiction, how do i change jurisdiction to ca so that it can be modified?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.


You need to go to your local court with the WA order and have it registered as a CA order. Call the clerk of the court first to see if there is anything else they require in order to get this accomplished.


Once it is registered in CA, you would file a motion to modify the order.

Please let me know if you need additional information.


Best regards,




Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Thank You.

Tina and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions