How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do I have to have a zero balance on medical expenses before

Customer Question

Do I have to have a zero balance on medical expenses before my ex-husband pays his portion in South Carolina?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Please elaborate on your question
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have three sons, triplets, and the medical expenses are racking up. My ex-spouse refuses to pay his portion of the medical expenses until I have paid all the medical bills in full. Do I have to have a zero balance on all medical expenses before he is required to pay his portion?
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

No you do not. His responsibility to support his children is independent of yours. You can file a contempt of court against him.

Generally speaking, when someone violates the court orders they are considered to be in contempt of court. To enforce your rights you will need to file a motion for contempt (may also be called an motion to show cause). In that motion you indicate what the orders are and how he has violated them.

You can typically pick the forms up at the clerk of the court's office and file them yourself.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is there any specific law that I can reference in SC to back up this information?
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

For a contempt action you need to refer to your child support order. A contempt action is to enforce a prior court order. In a contempt proceeding the only issue before the court is that the court ordered something and it was not done.
Ellen and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you very much for your help!


Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.
My pleasure. Best of luck to you. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions