How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask soloprac Your Own Question
soloprac, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 664
Experience:  Five years of exclusive practice in family law including but not limited to mediation and trial.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
soloprac is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a child custody hearing comming up in 2 weeks and I

Customer Question

I have a child custody hearing comming up in 2 weeks and I can not afford an attorney. Is it OK to go in without one ?? I have been layed off now for about a month and money is very tight. I have had primary physical custody of these children for over 7 years except for a 6 month period of time last year when an incident happened at my home and the mother of the kids greatly exagerated what happened and filed a PFA against me on behalf of the children. There were no charges filed against me after an investigation by both the local police and children and youth services. I have since got the 2 girls back but my son wants to stay with his mother. This happened in Dec of 08. What should i expect from the X's attorney ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  soloprac replied 8 years ago.



What exactly is the hearing addressing - modification, etc.?



Customer: replied 8 years ago.
reconciliation conference
Expert:  soloprac replied 8 years ago.
I think you should be okay going to this by yourself. You may expect some possible intimidation tactics by the mother's attorney since you are not represented - just know that you do not have to agree to anything you do not want to. Also bring documentation of the incident that took place in Dec'08 as I am sure this is going to be brought up at some point.

Best of luck!


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can they take my girls from me ? If there has not been any other incidents /
Expert:  soloprac replied 8 years ago.
I cannot give you an affirmative answer as the decision is not mine to make. However, based on what you have told me and the fact that the case was dismissed against you regarding the protective order there should be no reason for a change in custody now after 6 years.