How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Husband of 17years cut wifes assess to his income now she cant pay for basics food,

Resolved Question:

I want to know if there is anything I can to legally have my husband change what he did to our shared bank account. In short he closed our joint account, opened an account at a different bank in just his name. Next he stopped paying some of our revolve account and a share car loan. He makes 3x what I can when things are normal. But they are not normal right now because our 16 daughter's health concern has forced me into intermittent federal leave. The net results I don’t make enough teaching part time and the husband has completely stopped caring about anyone financial needs but his own.
Need advice in NJ
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 8 years ago.

It sounds like it is time to visit an attorney and consider filing for a divorce. You are in a long term marriage and are entitled to alimony, an equitable division of marital asses and child support if you keep custody. It is obvious that is the way you are headed so delaying will not be in your best interest.


If I have answered your question, an accept and positive feedback is appreciated. Thanks!!!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I knew before I asked the question that divorcing him is an option for course of the relationship, but your answer did not address my immediate question on a wifes legal rights while in a marriage.
Expert:  lwpat replied 8 years ago.

You basically have no way to force him to do anything. You can decide to separate and get a temporary order from the court. A spouse has a legal duty of support but to enforce that duty you have to go to court.


Here are the NJ family court forms.


and here is an overview of NJ divorce laws



lwpat and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you