How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ali Kirk Your Own Question
Ali Kirk
Ali Kirk, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 244
Experience:  14+ years experience in divorce, custody, visitation, child support and paternity matters.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ali Kirk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

mother incarsirated for 6months; she had primary residencey

Customer Question

mother incarsirated for 6months; she had primary residencey and 50/50 custody with father. when father found out mother was in jail he took the child and the child remand for 9 months with us. there now is a contempt order against the father. did the mother lose her rights when incarsirated??
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ali Kirk replied 8 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for your question.

Custody is premised on “the best interests of the child.” Generally speaking, a court will find that it is not consistent with the safety and security of a child, for the child to be in the custody of a parent who is incarcerated.

Therefore , if one parent is incarcerated and the other is not, and the other parent is willing, able and qualified to be the child’s custodial parent, he/she will normally be granted custody (unless there is some compelling or substantial reason for not doing so).

During the period the mother was incarcerated, she did obviously lose the rights to 50/50 custody, however, once she was released, the original custody order is still in effect, therefore, if the father kept the child and prevented the mother from seeing the child, etc., he could be considered in contempt.

If the situation is one now where the father believes that the mother should no longer share 50/50 custody, he can file a motion to modify the custody (as already has been done). He would have to prove to the judge that there has been a substantial change in circumstances that warrant modification. You should know that typically, judges are reluctant to change the original custody arrangements, however, and it could be a hard fight that may ultimately be unsuccessful.

I am not sure if you have a lawyer already or if you are handling things on your own, but if the situation progresses or gets more complicated, I would advise you speak with a local family law attorney about these issues. Typically, attorneys with 1-5 years experience offer lower fees.

Good luck to you. If you have any additional questions, please press the reply button, and I will be happy to assist you further.

I hope you found my answer helpful. Please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you, as I am not paid by the Just Answer wesbite. A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

DISCLAIMER (I really don’t like this but it is necessary): This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for “Legal Informational” purposes only and should not be confused with “Legal Advice” and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.