How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am remarried and living in Alabama with another 4 year old

Resolved Question:

I am remarried and living in Alabama with another 4 year old child. My ex and I divorced in NC where he still lives with out 8 year old daughter. When we divorced I was active duty in the navy and he was civilian, since then I have gotten out and he in turn has obtained a high stress government job that takes him out of state on business for days at a time. During his trips he sends our daughter to the neighbor without notifing me of anything. Do you think that I could get our joint custody changed to where I could get primary custody. We currently have joint custody where he has primary and I have secondary. Also since I have moved we have changed our visitation between us and I send him child support monthly even though I am not court ordered to pay anything. What do you think that my chances of changing custody are?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
A change in custody requires a change in the child's current living arrangements which are placing the child in a detrimental situation. Being left for days at a time with the neighbor is definitely a change in circumstance as the court would rather see the child be with one of the parents instead of the neighbor. So you do have a good chance in having the court consider your position. Any changes in custody would have to take place in NC since that is the state which issued the original orders and where the father and child currently live in.

What you voluntarily pay in support is not taken into consideration with regards XXXXX XXXXX cases and they are considered gifts to the child since they are not court ordered. The changes you did as to visitation do help to show that you have had more contact with the child. Further your living situation would also help show that you can provide the stability for the child if these travels by dad are often.

Factors which a court will take into consideration are as follows:

  • Physical, mental, emotional, moral and religious factors,
  • The child’s preference,
  • Each parent’s caretaking ability,
  • Each parent’s home environment,
  • Each parent’s availability to the child,
  • Each parent’s economic situation and potential,
  • The child’s bonding with other siblings, and
  • Other factors that illustrate what is best for the child.


Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you