How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

1. Paul has been living in my house for the pasgt 6 years.

Resolved Question:

1. Paul has been living in my house for the pasgt 6 years.    2. For his convenience I am on his bank account so that I can get cash for him.   3. Am I liable for any of his bills if he dies because I'm on his account? 4. I am very unhappy living with him. He has some serious problems such as:        a. he doesn't drive   b. he's deaf   c. he is 84 years old   d. he's poor              It is not fun living with him in any way    I want to live alone. He is estranged from his whole family.      What is my position and what am I liable for in case of his death?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 8 years ago.

You are not liable for his bills simply becasue your name is XXXXX XXXXX account. If your funds are in his account then you can lose those funds to creditors. If you want him out of your house you can evict him. You will need to follow the notificaton requirements for your community/state to properly force him to leave.


If you have undertaken responsibility for his care then you must do so reasonably. If he dies you are not liable for any of his debts. For all practical purposes you are his landlord/roomate


If you found this answer informative please press ACCEPT so I may get credit for my response.


This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.


Jack R. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Oh, I now realize that I'm not vulnerable and your opinion helps me to feel better. Actually I don't know if I could live with myself if I "threw" him out. It's a sad situation and I'm trying to be polite with great difficulty on my part. He's just not a good mate for me in many ways. We differ drastically on religion, politics and life philosophies. I made a stupid mistake.

He is driving me crazy.

For his part: he does not beat me, he is very pollite, he is basically a "nice" man, he does the best he can, he does all the dishes

So, I'll probably have to keep him given the fact that he has no one else in life: just me.
In the beginning I did love him. He's not the man I thought (or dreamed of) he was. So, thanks for the information.

I'm relieved and grateful to you.

Yours truly,

Customeralmost 79 years old