How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 40979
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do I have a legitmiate Alienation of Affection (I live in Utah)

This answer was rated:

Do I have a legitmiate Alienation of Affection (I live in Utah) case against my ex-wife's boyfriend since they have continued their relationship through our 16 years of marriage? I have physical proof that they were secretly seeing each other and once we were divorced (6 months ago) they openly hooked up and are planning on getting married. Thanks for your help.
Thanks for your question. Yes you have two grounds here. Utah still reocognizes alienation of affection. Addtionally Intentional infliction of emotional distress may be possible here as well.

To bring a successful IIED claim, the party suing must prove four elements:

  • Conduct that is intentional or reckless
  • Conduct that is extreme and outrageous
  • The wrongful conduct caused the emotional distress
  • Severe emotional distress

You will need a lawyer here to send demand letter and file suit. They have allowed such claims in excess of $500,000 in certain cases so please check into this and pursue it.

Lawyer referral


RayAnswers and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you