How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31733
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my huband and I had a fight and he hit me, I called the cops

Customer Question

my huband and I had a fight and he hit me, I called the cops and he went to jail. Now his lawyer says that if I go to court cause I riecieved a subpoena that he could be deported beause he is illigal from mexico. His lawyer said that I should not go to court but the supoena says that if I do not show up that I can be arested and pay a $500.00 fine. I thought that if my husband and I went to some classes like anger management or marriage conceling before his court date the judge might go easier on him since this is his first affence. We are scared that he could be deported and me and our two year old daughter are both citizens and I can not afford all the bills on my own. What should I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.

If you got a subpoena, you need to show up. If you don't a bench warrant will be issued for your arrest.


If you appear, you don't have to testify - you can refuse to do so under the spousal communication privilege.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
should we go to anger management classes would that help his case?
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.
Anything you can do to show that you're trying to work the problem out will be helpful and good information to give to the judge.

Related Family Law Questions