Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Husband has not been able to hold a job in 6 years of marriage

Customer Question
and left me stranded in...
Husband has not been able to hold a job in 6 years of marriage and left me stranded in Logan, Utah, and he moved in with a friend,and I was forced to return to Fillmore to live with family. My main concern is my 2 children,a boy 3 years old that has Autism and can't speak, that needs special traing, and a daughter 5 years. My husband has no job and can't draw Unemployment. My question is, is there any Law that can make him pay child support? And with the condition with my boy and my daughter, how much money could I count on to raise my children? In trouble in Utah, Monica
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
4/1/2009
Family Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Good morning Monica,

I'm very sorry to hear of your dilemma.

The sad reality is that based upon your husband's job status and lack of even unemployment benefits, even if you had the money to petition a court for child support, if your husband has no money, the fact that the court orders him you pay something to you will not do you any good.

You will eventually need to file for custody and support. and perhaps divorce as well, but until you can afford to do that there is little help other than looking to state or federal assistance, I'm sorry to say.

I wish you and your children well.

Best regards,

Doug

His mother is quite well off and gives him money to live on. I had an understanding that Utah Law would put deadbeat husbands in jail for non support, if I file for Divorce, and recieve child support, could you give me a idea of what I could expect with my boy an his Autism, for support.

Good afternoon,

The fact that his mother is wealthy, and may be giving him money, will not come into play.

Deadbeat Dads do go to jail--but not usually until they are $10,000 to $30,000 behind in support.

If you estranged husband hasn't been able to hold a job in 6 years, it is likely that any job he gets will not pay well.

Child support is based entirely on what he earns, versus what you earn. He may be ordered to pay as little as $50.00 per child per month.

Best regards,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law