How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 40979
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was laid off recently. How do I go about filing for a reduction

This answer was rated:

I was laid off recently. How do I go about filing for a reduction in child support. My ex-wife works mostly for cash and shows little income, but her current husband is very well off. My current wife is a full-time student and we are living off of scholarships and student loans.
Thanks for your question. If state child supprot handled this then you can ask for recalculation and maybe save a lawyer here. IF that doesn't work you will have to hand draft a motion to modify here.

Ask for recalculation by calling them here..

Forms to file if the recalculation doesn't work..
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

We never contested the issue. My ex had a lawyer draft a paper saying I'd pay $700 a month in support and I signed it. I don't even know how they came up with that number.

Well somewhere there is a child support or custody suit. You would file where the previous case was. You will need a copy of that order or piece of paper you signed. You may order it from the county clerk where the support case was filed.

It is important here that if you are going to represent yourself that you make or get a copy of everything involved here and keep good records just like a lawyer would. Make yourself a file . You will complete the form I gave you along with a cover letter asking the court to set your motion. And the other side here--your ex gets a copy.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The form you sent said Orleans...shouldn't I have one that says Lafayette?
You can use this statewide. You will have to change your city and also plug in the court number and case number XXXXX the order. I would attach a copy of your current order with your motion here. I am sorry this is the only one I can find.

You can ask here in Lafayette when you order the copy here if they have preprinted for ther. They may well have it since this is state approved form. Hope it works out here for you in this and better days are ahead. This recession is tough on everybody.Believe me you aren't the only one asking for reduction..Thank you for letting me help you..
RayAnswers and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions