How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

spouse left state 5 years ago. i need to get a divorce. i live

Customer Question

spouse left state 5 years ago. i need to get a divorce. i live in michigan. i do not know where he is. no kids. no property. how do i get divorced
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 8 years ago.

Here is the Michigan self help center that explains the divorce process.


It is not necessary to know where he is, the clerk of court can tell you the local rules for service by publication. These can vary by court so it is best to get that information straight from them.


There are no standard statewide divorce forms online. The clerk may them for your particular county. If not she may be able to print out the case file from a similar situation that you can use as a guide.



If I have answered your question, an accept and positive feedback is appreciated. Thanks!!!



Customer: replied 8 years ago.
he left state 5 years ago. i do not know where to find him. want to move on with my life. please help. no kids. no property.
Expert:  lwpat replied 8 years ago.
You don't have to know where to find him. All you have to do is to go to the clerk of the family court, get the forms, file and follow the clerks directions on service by publication. Or you can retain an attorney to do it for you.

Related Family Law Questions