Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My mother, Audrey Levy is 78yrs old and resides in PSL, FL

Customer Question
with my sister, Evelyn whom...
My mother, Audrey Levy is 78yrs old and resides in PSL, FL with my sister, Evelyn whom she has never gotten along with. Yesterday my mother became very agitated and Evelyn had her committed to a psych facility in Ft Lauderdale, FL. I know that my mother has early dementia and is difficult @ times, however my sister has no tolerance. My name isXXXXX am an RN I live in NC and have POA. I need to know what are my rights so far as either removing Evelyn from my mother's home & hiring 24hr care or using my mother's assets to assist me in purchasing a larger home in NC, in which my mother and I can reside.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
4/1/2009
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
You would, as the PoA, need to evict her from the residence through the state eviction process and since you are not in FL, you will need an attorney to do so. Additionally, you should also consider filing to obtain guardianship over your mother, but to do this you would have to move your mother to the state where you reside or would have to move to FL, since courts will not grant guardianship to someone in another state. As far as the emergency committment, there is nothing you can do for the first 72 hours, but you would then be able to go to court on her behalf as PoA and seek her release if they try to keep her longer.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Sorry I don't no what happen to my credit card, it is a new card. I will check the # XXXXX and re submit
You seem to have paid, so I do not think there is any need for you to do anything further. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer