How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When does spousal support end

Resolved Question:

My husband of 14 years is still paying spousal support, since 1994. Can we ever get this stopped? He spoke with a lawyer 5 years ago who said the ex had health issues and we should wait to go to court because we risked having the amount increased. They were only married just over 10 years. We could use the money she is getting.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- The divorce decree should have the terms of the spousal support written in the agreement. I have never seen a decree that says it will just be paid with no ending date unless it is for life which I doubt in the case of a ten year marriage. If you want the terms of the decree to be changed the only way is to go to court and move that the original order be amended.


Obviously if the decree is clear as to and ending date of support then that should answer your question as to when he will be able to stop paying.


David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Dave Kennett and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you