Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I live in Texas and my wife of 8 years has taken our 6 year

Customer Question
old daugher and left me...
I live in Texas and my wife of 8 years has taken our 6 year old daugher and left me. She has moved in with two male friends. She says she wants a separation and won't talk to me about what she intends. She has just completed four years of nursing school (3 months ago) through which I supported her and now makes more money than me. We have accumulated credit card debts and have a car loan. She took two thirds of the money in our bank account and told me to keep the bills. Plus, I am stuck with a lease agreement that I can't afford to break. I would really love to reconcile but in the meantime, can't pay the bills without her help. What is my recourse?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
4/1/2009
Family Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Good morning,

I am terribly sorry to hear of your dilemma.

It appears pretty clear that reconciliation is not in the cards, at least in the immediate future.

I strongly urge you to immediately file for divorce, ask for a temporary hearing at which the judge will make temporary orders regarding child custody/visitation, child support, temporary spousal support, obligations of each party as to the continued payment of the marital debt, and which party will be allowed to remain in the marital home until the divorce is final.

You can always dismiss the divorce action if you reconcile. However, in the meantime you need assistance quickly before you find yourself unable to climb out from under the debt and find your credit ruined.

I wish you the best.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law