How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37818
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 14 yr old granddaughter that wants to live with me.

Resolved Question:

I have a 14 yr old granddaughter that wants to live with me. Her divorced parents both say no. Her mother has custody. Her husband is under investigation for inappropriate behavior. She loves her mother and doesn't want to leave her but says she will not stay in the home with him. She doesn't want to live with her father because she would have to change schools and he lives in the "middle of nowhere". She and her mother lived with me for the first 8 yrs of hte childs life. I supported her and her mother while she attended school. I do not want to cause trouble for anyone. I only want her to be safe and happy. I live 1 mile from her mother so she could visit as much as possible. At what age can she leave home without having to return? She threatens to runaway and I can't have that.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Unfortunately, until your granddaughter reached the age of majority, which is 18, she can not decide to live with someone other than one of her natural parents, without the approval of the court. The fact that both parents are objecting to that suggestion means that she will not be allowed to live with you, I'm afraid.

I wish you and your granddaughter the best.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,


LawTalk and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you