Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

We have had our grandson for most of his three years. We have

Customer Question
totally supported him from birth...
We have had our grandson for most of his three years. We have totally supported him from birth because of his mom's crack addiction and he hasn't even seen her in 2 years. We want permanent custody legally, she gets out of jail in less than a week ,, how can we protect him from ever having to leave the only home and parents he has ever known ASAP.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2009
Family Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Tina, Lawyer

Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.

Please let me know what state you are in. Also, do you have legal guardianship of the chilld?

There has been no legel custody or guardianship done so far, she just abandoned him and you only hear from her spontaneously, and she has lived in motels, the street, crack houses, with other known users etc.. We live in Madison county Alabama, Huntsville is where our court house resides. I just graduated nursing school last year and am a nurse at Huntsville hospital.

I see. You should file a petition for custody as soon as possible so the mother could be charged with kidnapping if she attempts to take your grandson. As soon as you file the petition, you would also want to file a motion for temporary custody while the case is pending.

Under the circumstances, you are very likely to obtain permanent custody of the child. However, you should not attempt to do this alone. A family law attorney in your area should represent you through the process. The state bar association's website is a good place to begin your search and should also have information regarding low cost and pro bono legal services.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best regards,

TK

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Thank You.

Tina, Lawyer
Tina, Lawyer