How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 697
Experience:  Trial Attorney, licensed in FL, GA, & AL. Rated 10 / 10 by avvo.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to know what Kentucky law says about moving out of state

Resolved Question:

I need to know what Kentucky law says about moving out of state when parents have joint custody.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

Minor moves are usually not considered significant and don't require permission. For example, a move within a city from one neighborhood to another would not be considered significant under most circumstances.


What is considered a "significant" move depends on the given state's law. In some states, a relocation out of the county is significant. In others, it is a specified number of miles (like 50 or 100) away from the noncustodial parent. In other states, only moving out of the state is considered significant.


The law on parental relocation in Kentucky seems to be forever in a state of flux. Here is a good summary of the law:


Basically, it is up to the Court and if it is a big move, 50 or so miles, you should obtain permission.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He allowed the children to move in September 2008, it has been more than six months without an objection. What grounds does he have to pursue this?
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
How far away? A parent can always seek judicial involvment if there are changed circumstances or if it wants to enforce a prior agreement.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is about 6 hours away. Like I said before, I offer to meet him half way and actually it is farther for me to the spot we agreed upon. I have even taken them all the way a few times.
No circumstances have changed. He is just mad because I asked him to catch up on his portion of medical/dental bills that he is behind on. He is also only paying me half the child support that is agreed upon in our divorce papers, and I am not even trying to make him pay that.
I just want to know if I should worry about his threats to take me back to court.
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
He can "take you back to Court," but it does not sound like he will be sucessful in challenging the current arrangement since you have an agreement.
John and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you