How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117401
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has joint custody of 16yr old minor, mother has

Resolved Question:

My husband has joint custody of 16yr old minor, mother has physical custody. For the last five years we have agreeded to two Consecutive days Monday, tuesdayand alernating weekends. the child is doing poorly in school skipping classes weekly and the mother has done nothing. Now that I have applied pressure to get her grades back on track and stop waisting time. She has determined that she can decide when and if she sees us and that she can make her own decisions. 1. Can she, 2. can we emanicapte her if her mother is no support?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
The custody agreement is based upon what was entered into the court. If there was no court ordered custody, then it is up to the parents and the custodial parent usually gets the upper hand. If there is no custody order, then dad needs to go back to court and now obtain one, especially based upon the poor performance in school. As far as emancipation, this requires the consent of both parents, not just one.

Dad can also go to court and seek a change of custody and get physical custody based upon what is in the best interests of the child and bad behavior and poor school performance is definately a reason the court will change custody if he seeks it.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you