How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the Child support guidelines of split custody where

Resolved Question:

What is the Child support guidelines of split custody where one child lives in Germany and the other in the US (Virginia). I am about to move to Germany (for 3 years) where I would receive considerable amount of military fringe benefits (I am contractor). Soon to be ex has stated she will ask for a modification of child support once I move. How would the CS agency look at the situation where I take care of my child in Germany where the cost of living is more expensive?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 8 years ago.

Child support is determined by the state which issued the original order as long as one parent still resides in the state. She can ask for a modification and the court will decide on the basis of your financial declarations. The judge can order a variance based on any issues that you wish to present. One of those would be a difference in the cost of living.





Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The orginal order (split custody calculations) was based on the fact that both kids were residing in VA. How much of an effect will it have with one child residing in Germany ? Also if I'm out of the country when the request for modification comes in do I have to be in country to respond. Is this something best handled by a lawyer due to its complications and variances.
Expert:  lwpat replied 8 years ago.

You can respond even if you are out of the country. The judge will decide from the paperwork. You are almost always better off with an attorney, especially where this is going to be out of the ordinary. He can decide how much of the fringe benefits are considered income.



lwpat and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you