Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My daughters father and I are in a legal battle. He is abusive

Customer Question
My daughter's father and I...
My daughter's father and I are in a legal battle. He is abusive with several crimminal assult charges on his record. We recently put together a parenting plan and it was approved. Shortly after the approval he came to my house at 6:45 in the morning was yelling adn screaming using bad language around my 4 year old son and took off with our daughter who had no warm clothing or food or in a car seat that fit her. I ahev an attorney now and he said since I never pushed the courts for action t5o change our agreement I am now in contempt if I dod not allow him to see her. I am concerned forth e wel being of my daughter because he gets into such a blind rage he does not care or realizes what he does. If we go to court do you feel I will be laughed at and he will get my daughter unspervised. I would like to talk more on the phone to explain everything Please give me what ever advice you have.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
4/1/2009
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Thanks for your question. A judge woudl never laugh at you. They are parents for the most part and take the "best interests of the child" extremely seriously so always know they care. I would contact children's services here before the next scheduled visit.

You have reaosn to believe your children will be in danger here of abuse and neglect. They will investigate here and help your custody case. They may well become involved and refuse him visitation or legally intervene.

This costs nothing and may protect them as well. I think your lawyer will make a good case fo limiting his visitation here and other restrictions. The child welfare folks may get into this and help you.I wish you good luck here.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

Well tomorrow I told his attorney that i would drop her off to him at the police station. I am now getting a feeling in my gut that is not the right thing. I do not want the state to get involved in my life that is too much stress. I just want to know if I go in contempt by not allowing the visitation what will happen?
If you are in contempt here then you risk jail and a fine. You would also get the court angry and this would not help your custody case. Actually the idea about the police department isn't so far fetched if you have reservations as they work with social services. This is your call here. I very much understand how difficult this can be here..

so do you feel I should allow her to see him let him blow up again and then press charges immediatley to have a upper hand with the courts? I am going to have my friend go with me to the police dept because i fear my ex. My friend is a man and he might blow up because of that alone. I do not feel comfortable being alone confronting my ex after all of this. If he takes off with my daughter will the courts strip him from his custodial rights?

You have a good idea with taking the friend. The police will deal with him if there is anger. This is a realistic idea here to me.And yes the court could strip him of his rights no doubt..
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
thanks for your help. i am sure he will act up again which is unfortunate.
You're welcome..Ray
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer