How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42235
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My step sons wife is a Korean citizen with a green card, a

Resolved Question:

My step son's wife is a Korean citizen with a green card, a social security number and they have a son, an America Citizen. There son is Autistic. They sent him to Korea to live with his wife's family for what was going to be about 4 months. Due to financial difficulty it extended to a year. Several weeks ago she went to Korea under the auspices of going to going back to finish her degree in Korean college and return with their son. She got over there, and said she wanted a Divorce. My step son says he wants the divorce too now, because of all the demands she places on her. He doesn't think he can raise the child alone. She says she is coming back to the U.S. and wants him to divorce her and pay child support. I say he should do nothing and sit on it and see what she can do. My big question is : What rights does she have over him? Both in Divorce and Child Support. Not that I want him to dodge the issue of helping his son, but he struggles badly with finances.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. This is legal quandry. He can wait for her to file here. Unless she comes back to U.S. here to file it may take awhile. If she gets a foreign divorce she would have to then try and enforce through the Hague Treaty.

This a slow process. You may well be thinking right here to do a wait and see. She may file or she may not you never know. She would be entitled to divorce and the court in Korea or here woud decide all the related issues.


Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

RayAnswers and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you