Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

SHE BROKE OFF THE ENGAGEMENT. WHO GETS THE RING WE LIVE IN

Customer Question
SHE BROKE OFF THE ENGAGEMENT...
SHE BROKE OFF THE ENGAGEMENT. WHO GETS THE RING ? WE LIVE IN ALABAMA
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2009
Family Lawyer: hocuspocusme, USA Legal replied 8 years ago
hocuspocusme
hocuspocusme, USA Legal
How much is the ring valued at?
Captain Olson,

In regards XXXXX XXXXX ring gifts, the fact that the marriage ceremony never took place and she is the one that broke off the engagement, you have a right to take the ring back if you wish because it is only a complete gift based on the union of marriage. The gift was given anticipating a union of marriage.

IS THAT THE LAW IN ALA.

Yes it is. I had to look it up for you.
hocuspocusme
hocuspocusme, USA Legal
The closest case in Alabama on whether the bride must return the engagement ring and the wedding ring after a short-term marriage is Phillips v. Phillips, 705 So. 2d 512 (Ala. Civ. App. 1997). In that case, the trial court allowed the bride to keep the ring but ordered her to pay the groom $4,700, which happened to be the value of the ring.

This case tells that even a wife must return the ring after a short term marriage.
hocuspocusme
hocuspocusme
hocuspocusme, USA Legal