How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41597
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in the middle of a separation. My husband has left me

Resolved Question:

I am in the middle of a separation. My husband has left me and my child for another woman. He said he wanted a divorce. I do not want to argue or fight over it, so I went and got the forms to get things started. I am wondering if I should hire an attorney for the case. It seems to have been pretty simple. I have given him his things, and the only thing he has of mine is the stereo system for the car. I have an xbox that he wants and I offered him to have it, and let me have my stereo system. We have a car loan together and he wants off of it. Is he obligated to pay until he is off of the loan? Also if I free him of the debt of the car, we have another car through a family friend that we are paying back a loan from for the purchase of the car. If I free him of the debt, am I obligated to ask for half of what the car is worth that he is keeping? I also want to file for custody of course joint for my daughter. I am also pregnant with his child. I just do not know what to do. Advice please
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. My suggestion here is to go and split a lawyer. You don't have a lot to fight about but you are due child support for two kids here and custody, vitiation. So to me this alone will affect you for the next 18 years or so.

And as far as the cars you are free to reach agreement. Likely you can't get him off your note unless you can refinance here on your own. But that would be somethign you can try to resolve as well.

I think this is overall agreeable her but the child issues are important long term. And the court will not likely grant final divorce until after the baby is born. You certainly have my sympathy here for all you are going through and I hope you are able to resolve..


Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

RayAnswers and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions