How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Child in Ohio w/grandparents; mother in Alabama; support order

Resolved Question:

Child in Ohio w/grandparents; mother in Alabama; support order from Texas: I (father) in Virginia: Where do I file for custody / visitation?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 years ago.
Good evening,

Where (what state) was the original custody order issued from?
Why do the grandparents have custody?


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No custody / visitation order just support. Grandparents have custody while mother leaves/seperated/divorces current spouse.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 years ago.
Good morning,

As the State of Texas had initial jurisdiction over the support matter, it continues to have jurisdiction over potential custody issues as well.

You will need to file a petition for custody of your child in the same court that issued the support order.

I wish you and your child the best.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,


LawTalk and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you