How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

At what age can a child decide to live with their grandparents

Customer Question

At what age can a child decide to live with their grandparents without the permission of their parents?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 years ago.

Good evening,


A child cannot chose to leave their parents, and instead live with grandparents until such time as the child is legally emancipated. In all states this is 18 years or older.


I wish you well.



Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.


Best regards,



LawTalk and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was told by the police that they can not force a run away child to return home. What was he talking about then.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 years ago.

Good evening,


I have no idea what he is talking about. Perhaps he means that his department does not bother to do that because they feel they are too busy.


If the is the case I suggest that you petition the court to issue an order directing the police to pick your child up and return them home. Until the child is 18 in CA, unless they have been legally emancipated, they remain under the control of their parents.


I raised 5 children in CA. That is the law.


I wish you the best,