How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask kydoll Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4131
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
kydoll is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can a 17 year old do to move out in Kansas

Customer Question

I'm a 17 year old in Kansas. I need to find out if there are any ways to move out on my own or with my brother or boyfriend. My dad is mentally abusive. He will say that I look like im 5 months pregnant and meantions on how small my chest is. I dont like him or his new fiance. I want to move out but I dont want to make him angry because he isnt that nice when he is angry. He has been physically abusive in the past but the cops here say that unless they have proof they cant do any thing about it. I really want to get out because his fiance threatens to leave him and then he gets angry which isnt good for any one. What kind advice would you give me?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  kydoll replied 8 years ago.

You could go to court and request emancipation. For the state to emancipate you; however, you need to prove to them that you can care for yourself. In Kansas, if you take someone with you that is 21, you can file for emancipation by filing a petition stating your age, that you have lived in Kansas for at least a year and giving the reasons why you want to be recognized as an adult. Here is a link that may help further by providing the exact language regarding emancipation of a minor in your state.


Please let me know if I can help further.