How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I pay child support for my daughter who lives in Wisconsin,

Resolved Question:

I pay child support for my daughter who lives in Wisconsin, i reside in texas (where the child support order and divorce were final). My daughter stays with me for 10 days in April and for 42 days in the summer. Can i get some of my child support back when my daughter is with me for that extent of time to help with expenses?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Child support is set up on a monthly basis to account for the time that the noncustodial parent has the child. If you think that you are overpaying for child suppport, you can file a petition for modification. However, you cannot simply not pay support during the time the child is with you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i pay 20% of my income each month...during the month of April when i have her for 10 days and from June 20th-aug 1st i feel that i should not have to pay the whole amount. would a court modify that that something that can be done?
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

It is possible. You can file for a modification on the basis of change in parenting time.
Ellen and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you