Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Im in process of divorce. About 4 years ago my husbanded gift

Customer Question
I’m in process of divorce...
I’m in process of divorce. About 4 years ago my husbanded gift me a portfolio of stock which he got from his father to me. This account has been on my name for more than three years. Now he is claiming that he didn’t and all this account is his. What are my rights? I live in California. we have been married for over 13 years.
-fay-
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/1/2009
Family Lawyer: Ellen, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ellen, Lawyer

The property lost its separate property status when your husband put the account in your name. The account appears to be now marital property subject to the community property rules in California. It would typically be split equally.

this account has been only with my name and I didn't mixed it with anything ells. His name is XXXXX XXXXX that account. is that any different from other kind of gifs or from whom I recived it.

-Fayy-

Yes it is different since it was a spousal transfer. Your husband transferred the property into your name and therefor it is marital property. Had you received the gift from a third party, it would be separate property and not subject to court distribution.
so jewelry would fall in same category, or it doesn't. Like gifts he give me. what make them different?
Nothing makes them different. They are marital assets subject to community property distribution.
Ellen, Lawyer

thank you

-fay-

Thank you.
Ellen, Lawyer