How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116817
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in PA and filed for devorce over 2years ago. I was told

Resolved Question:

I live in PA and filed for devorce over 2years ago. I was told I can not get the devorce until a settlement is reached. The problem is I have spend over $8,000. and I haven't even seen a counter offer from my soon to be ex I was told by my attorney that we are waithing for the grounds order then we can go to a masters hearing which then settlement could be reached. The questione is can I file for a masters hearing without an attorney? My attorney just passed away last week and I don't want to hire another.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
You can file for the masters hearing without an attorney, but it is really not advisable because the other party has an attorney and your ex is hold out on giving a counter offer. You can also ask the court to grant the divorce and leave the property division open to be settled at a later date. I understand these matters are expensive to hire an attorney and there is always the inclination to do this without one, but I have seen too many times where a party trying to handle these matters themselves make mistakes that are fatal to their cases. The courts are not forgiving just because you represent yourself and you are held to the same exact standards as an attorney and if you make an error, the excuse you are not an attorney will not be gorunds for the court to reverse an adverse ruling.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you