Rose Zapor
Rose Zapor, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Ten years as a Family Lawyer, Published author.
315445

can I receive back support from the father of my children if

Customer Question

can I receive back support from the father of my children if he is in the process of getting 4 years of back social security disability
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Rose Zapor replied 8 years ago.
Dear Louise:

It depends on the type of Social Security. The Department and Child Support enforcement will generally not garnish his SSI benefits, but will garnish his SSDI benefits. Contact your local child support enforecement agency.

Good Luck,

Rose

If you like my answer, consider paying a BONUS.

If you have another question, please contact me atCustomer

Thank you.

_______________________________________________________________________
Disclaimer --- There is no attorney/client privilege created by this exchange and the answer being provided is informational only and does not constitute legal advice.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what is the difference between ssi and ssdi
SSI is Social Security Income - it is based upon need and disability and is a form of welfare. SSDI is Social Security Disability Income. It is a much higher payment because it is based upon the person's work history and already having paid into the system.

Good Luck,

Rose

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
If I can not afford a lawyer what do I need to do to get the ball rolling on collecting any back support,and does he pay me the back support or does social security send me the money.
Dear Louise,

Depending on the amount owed, lawyers can take a contingency for getting your child support. Only child support enforcement agencies can garnish social security directly. You can get an order from the court that he is to pay you and then take it to Social Security. The Social Security office is so huge that sometimes they lose things. So sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't.
Rose