How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cedric Your Own Question
Cedric, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2899
Experience:  Representation of Clients in Family Courts for Criminal and Civil Matters for several years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Cedric is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Ex-husband is court Ordered to pay $664 a month in Child

Resolved Question:

My Ex-husband is court Ordered to pay $664 a month in Child Support. After our seperation, he quit his well paying job and has very sporaidcally worked minimum wage jobs in the last two years. Of those two years, I've only received a total of about $1500. Is there anything I can do about him not paying child support? Last I heard he was not working.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Cedric replied 8 years ago.
Yes, you can get a court order to garnish any wages once he starts working, and depending on the state you may be able to get a percentage of unemployment. What state/county? I'll look up the family court form for you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I have a garnishment order. He's not working, or if he is, it's for cash and not being reported. I'm also fairly certain that he's not collecting unemployment as well. He has someone in his life who is supporting him.

Is it no longer a Criminal offense to be that far behind in Child Support? The last time I looked, he was about $12,000.00 behind.

Expert:  Cedric replied 8 years ago.
it very well could be. they at least suspend your license. i'll look it up and let you know. that's savvy that you already got the garnishment order.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

In Missouri when they order child support as part of a divorce they set up the garnishment automatically.


What do I need to do to have them suspend his license?


One last question....he's not seen our daughter in over a year. He told his parents that since he's not seeing her, that he shouldn't have to pay child support. Visitation doesn't have anything to do with a Support order, does it?


His actual order is for $664 a month, plus half of her insurance, half of co-insurance, co-pays, deductibles, and half of any school expenses such as field trips, and half of any extra curricular activities.


So if you add in the insurance etc, he's well over $20,000.00 behind.


The last payment I received from him was from the stimulus package that everyone got last year. He received $300.00 which was then transferred to us.


I appreciate your help, I'm just at a loss where to go from here.

Expert:  Cedric replied 8 years ago.
Yes, visitation has nothing to do with child support, since many parents are in that situation, and if anything that's more of a reason why he should have to pay. Yeah, it's tough to be in your situation, because you can't really go after someone with no assets and if he doesn't get a job or anything from the government (he should have something though), you most likely will have a hard time getting that money.

But there's no statute of limitations so he will owe that money for a long time to come. His driver's license is most likely already suspended since he's been in arrears for so long.
Cedric and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you