How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We just found out my husband has a 17 yr old daughter, the

Customer Question

We just found out my husband has a 17 yr old daughter, the mother had another man's name on the birth certificate and as far as we are aware, his name is XXXXX XXXXX it. We also feel the mother knew my husband was the father even when she put the other man's name on it. The daughter does not live with her mother, lives with great grandparents and has to work to support herself. We want to help her but are told that the money will go straight to the mother in which we know will not make it to "our new" daughter. First question is how can the mother get away with not supporting her and second, is there a type of situation where equal time is spent and where she is determines who provides for her at the time?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 8 years ago.
If his name is XXXXX XXXXX the birth certificate, then he is the legal father and your husband has no legal duty to pay child support absent a court order. If he wants to help he can give her money directly but do it by check.

Related Family Law Questions