How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been given temporary guardianship of a minor child by

Customer Question

I have been given temporary guardianship of a minor child by the mother. I got the forms from a legal website online and we both signed them and had to notarize them. There is no father established, and we live in Illinois. My question is, are these papers legal or do they have to go through a court to be legal? It sys in the papers that I am the one who can make any and ll decisions pertaining to the child, so does the mother have the right to take him any time she wishes?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 8 years ago.
The mother has the right to take the child anytime. For the guardianship to be legal, you will have to file in probate court which is part of the Fulton county circuit court.