Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

hi,my friend who is a guy just found out his ex gf gave a birth

Customer Question
to allegedly his daughter this...
hi,my friend who is a guy just found out his ex gf gave a birth to allegedly his daughter this past friday,he took paternity test n is waiting for answers. does father have any rights and laws on his side cos obviously she used him to get pregnant. what can he do if he is the father? i know he should've thought about it before,9 months ago, but im seeking the legal aspect of this. what i mean exactly is can he sue her or something for freaking lying to him and not having informed him BEFORE the freaking birth so that he could also decide if they should keep the child??? or all laws are on the mother's side? it cant be, this would be unfair to all the guys in the world!this sucks!thx
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/1/2009
Family Lawyer: Dave Kennett, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer

DearCustomer- Unfortunately the rights he has are to be with his child and be her father, not to sue the mother. Both parents are equally responsible for the birth of a child and each parent has equal rights to the child. Your friend will likely have to begin paying child support at some point.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
thank you :(
No problem and thanks for using our service - Dave
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer