RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

CPS of Florida is wanting to stop by this evening to chat with

CPS of Florida is wanting to stop by this evening to chat with my spouse and I and our son. They had a complaint filed with them regarding our sons black eye and scratched skin from 2 separtate incidents of kids play. How should I proceed as the investigator says he just needs to follow up and stop by to check on our son.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. They have the right to investigate here. I woudl tell you to cooperate here as they may just be trying to close out their case. I can't see that anything will come out of this based on what you present.

Her my judgment would be to try and see if you can interview and close the matter. It may have just been a fight here and somebody is trying to make somethign more of it. I think it will die out here after they interview the child.

I would take the investigator at his word here unless you have reason to think otherwise. I wish you good luck here and hope this resolves pretty quickly..

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

What warning flags should I look for in the interview so I know if I should get legal representation?

We are thinking our son's teacher is behind this as she has open hostility towards us for taking her to task regarding her teaching methods or lack there of. Our son is a slighly slower learner (never has he been labeled as anything nor does he receive any special school services for educational needs - never qualified for anything of that nature) and she requested we sign a form waving her responsibility regarding his end of year test scores so they don't effect her teaching status. She currently has 5 of the kids in her classroom with this wavier and she was furious we refused. To us this gives her the green light to neglect our sons education and only focus on the students who will test well. Our reponse to the teacher was our son just need more teaching time with her and more school work to to do at home to re-enforce what she is teaching at school.

So if this happens again, her reporting suspicions of child neglect/abuse sould we still just interview or seek legal rep?

If the interview has anything beyond asking about the kids and their play. anything about your house, your habits beyond this incident, etc. Ask them if you are a target or a possible perpetrator if it seems to lead this way. You are probably correct about the teacher here.

The problem with any investigation is that they can use this a means to look at everything you do looking for trouble and I don't think that they can do that. so try to deal with only the complaint. Cooperate but don't volunteer. Not a time to be chatty. Keep them on task here..