How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I fled the marital home in MA with my 4 children to NC. My

Resolved Question:

I fled the marital home in MA with my 4 children to NC. My husband was able to get temporary legal and physical custody. Can I return to the marital home to be with my children?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Can you tell me the reason why you fled the home?

And to confirm there are no court orders regarding access to the property?


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I fled from abuse. My husband is abusive to the children and myself. (we had an open case with DSS but the case worker just encouraged me to leave with the children so I did). There are no orders regarding access to the property. All the modification of the stipulation said is that he would get temporary legal and physical custody of the children.
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

To answer your question since there is nothing restricting access to the home, you can return. My concern however is that you return to further abuse. My suggestion would first be to deal with the issues of custody with a MA attorney or to obtain a restraining order against your husband where he is asked to vacate the family home. However since he has custody you first need to address that issue. If possible I would seek contact with the DSS worker to inform her what has happened. The DSS worker would be able to see if they can remove the children from him pending the custody hearing and make recommendations to have the children returned to you while he vacates the marital home.

But to answer your question, yes you can return since you share ownership of the home. Only through a restraining order or court order can you be restricted from access.


Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate your advice and prompt reply.